Practice: Instructions

Practice: Instructions

It's all about the differences

During my practice I observe two teachers' lessons. Giving instructions is something you can learn, there are main rules of how to give instructions adequate to your group but I still believe that it each teacher gives instructions differently, even if they follow the same set of rules. Everyone is different and so teachers are different.

The maths teacher

On maths lessons the instructions are given mainly once, that's the main principle of the teacher. She hardly ever says the same command twice. It's natural for the students that if they decide not to pay attention they'll need to ask their college as their teacher won't answer them. Unfortunately, some of them still choose to do something else than actually be on the lesson. Only when the teacher speak directly to them would they change their attitude. And it do not last long.

My next observation is about the volume of teacher's voice. It definitely goes up as the lesson moves on. That makes me feel uncomfortable and a little stressed even as an observer only. Sometimes I perceive the tone as shouting which in my opinion doesn't favor the learning. Students are used to the way their teacher gives instructions. In my perception they don't realize that both sides could speak quietly and it could make them all feel better. For me this example shows that being in your everyday environment easy makes you insensitive for the things you got used to. And an observer, like me on those lessons, can point out important but hardly visible problems.

The issue of talking in English on the lesson won't stop to surprise me. I feel it's not that hard to make the effort in the class I observe to use language two, I'd even say that main purpose of the lesson is to talk in English and listen to English. It's hard to say what percentage of the instructions given during the lesson is in English, still my impression is less than halve of them. I strongly feel that it shouldn't be this way. The main subject, maths, is obviously important too but it's not core.

The history teacher

When I puzzle how to describe instructions given by the history teacher the first adjective comes to my mind is clear. She uses much but not to much words. The words she chooses are easy and close to children. Instructions usually apply to what is the lesson plan as there is no pair work, group work, even individual work. Still, if the students are to write down something in their notebooks or answer teacher's question, they do it almost immediately. They simply know what to do and how to do it.

As to volume, history lessons are pleasure to observe. The conversation between the teacher and the students is interesting, both sides are engaged and there is no need to raise your voice. Only when the discussion become more engaging can you hear louder sounds.

Using English happens often than on the maths lesson, still it's not much, I'd say 60%. Even though, both teacher and students are trying, moreover they talk about talking in English. I really like this idea, it's the teacher paying attention to using English, by this she highlights the importance of that element of the lesson. By talking in English not only does she make the students listen the language, but asking the questions in English makes the students more opened and determinate to answer using English.

Written instructions

During maths lesson the teacher sometimes put the instructions to the task on the board, in English. I really like this solution. Not only do the students practice reading and writing (they put the instructions in their notebooks) but also they can come back to them any time they'd like. If they have questions they can ask about specific part of the sentence. It's easy for them to analyze what they need to do.

To sum up

Giving instructions is not easy task. At the same time, it determinate how the lesson looks like and how students perceive their task. Being a teacher require this ability. You can learn it but you always can improve it. My las t conclusion is that instructions will be different not only for younger or older group, not only if the group is small or big, but basically they need to be adapted to as many group specifics as possible.

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz

Practice: Self evaluation

 Practice: Self evaluation My practice from GPTE year 1st is coming to an end. It's a good opportunity to sum up what I have learnt, wha...